Sunday

May 13, 2006

Henry Chalfant and Tony Silver, Style Wars (1983). 69 minutes.

I saw this the first time when I was living in artist/curator Matthew Lusk's TV room in Greenpoint. I return to it out of the frustration of the elite=art conversation that's been continuing on the Buffalo list.

This documentary explores the world of graffitti writers in New York circa 1982. The main taggers are interviewed as well as the main officials agianst graffitti: Ed Koch, the cop in charge of the subway car yard, etc... It's a balanced approach, but I don't know of anyone who has watched that doesn't see what the writers are doing as art.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger rodney k said...

Just got mine via Netflix. Weird synchronicity--you, a friend at work, and Nada Gordon all mentioned this movie to me around the same time. The guy I work with, a designer, says he worked on the designs for the clothing line that came out in conjunction with the DVD release a while back. Can't wait!

04:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home