Thursday

December 5, 2007

from Fiona McGregor:

Friends,

On Sunday 25th November I staged an interventionist performance at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney. 'Dead Art' was a protest about the absence of live performance art in the MCA, one of Australia's foremost contemporary art institutions.

Dressed in curatorial black, tagged like a morgue corpse, I lay on the floor in one of the galleries until I was forcibly removed by the NSW Police. I chose the Contemporary Australian Art show as the exhibition in which to display my dead body.

I came back to life outside the institution, where I was fined $220 by the NSW Police for 'Failure to comply with Police Directions'. I was banned from the MCA for the rest of the day.

'Dead Art' was also a mourning ritual to commemorate the previous evening's deposition of our Great Lord and Master, John Winston Howard.

Enjoy the photos. More details to follow on the website.


Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"a protest about the absence of live performance art"

really? seriously? shall we next protest the absence of cocaine from my nose?

17:53  
Blogger Mr. Horton said...

I didn't write this. I was more interested in her getting a ticket for not behaving properly in the museum.

01:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home