Sunday

August 23, 2008

Things that have made me happy today:

The overabundance of Jack Morgan's generosity: in the mail today, he sent Kasey's Breathalyzer & Deer Head Nation, Abe Lincoln #1, his own manuscript, 2 ink on paper works & 2 pretty awesome posters he designed for poetry readings. [thanks Jack]
&
The obese African-American man who passed me as I was walking home from the gym via Lake Merritt (he was chugging along at a good clip); he was loudly singing Madonna's "Borderline" to himself & anyone within earshot. It fit my mood perfectly, and obviously his, as he looked genuinely happy to be running and sweating profusely at that moment. If I ever write a movie and have Lake Merritt as a location, this scene is going in it. (c) 2008 David Harrison Horton
&
Picking up a free copy of C. Sullivan's zine Heat Lightnin' at 21 Grand. And also talking to Darren Jenkins, who is always great to talk to.
&
Picking up Isaiah Berlin's Karl Marx, Polybius's The Rise of the Roman Empire (mostly for the section on Hannibal) & John Gay's The Beggar's Opera at the Goodwill downtown. I also picked up a dark blue 4 pocket Mexican shirt for $4. I just might wear it to my first day of classes.
&
Skype-ing my dad for an hour this morning. Videophonics are so much better than telephonics. And they are free.
&
The fact that Kristina Lewis recognizes in her artist statement that she removed any "use-value" from the materials she made her pieces out of.
&
Watching Olympic soccer on Telemundo, because the Bay Area Spanish speaking audience apparently cares about soccer; whereas, NBC 's audience apparently doesn't. It's partly funny because NBC owns Telemundo. I really wish I understood Spanish. I get about 25-30% of what the broadcasters are saying.
&
Knowing it's only 5:30 and there's a whole lot of this day to go yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home