Tuesday

August 25, 2009

In the *Crack Up* by F. Scott, which at one point Mr. Lusk gave me a first edition, Mr. Fitzgerald writes of the agony of spending a night without sleep because of a single mosquito. For me, this is most summer nights. I get bit, then I turn on the lights and wage war against a single insect. This plays out twice sometimes thrice a night. All the while, I am waiting for the demon mosquito that will give me Hep or worse. Ah, the blood borne diseases we no longer speak about, but are still rampant in China.

***

In Oakland I never really looked at the stars, but now that I'm in Beijing, I really wish I had. Beijing has that wonderful light pollution that Detroit had when I was growing up that makes the night sky orange and no stars. The planets Mars and Venus sometimes make an appearance, but no constellations.

***

Bond is in Turkey to pick Tatiana up. He has his doubts.

***

Next week, I will be in a Dongbei village drinking homemade rice liquor (baijiu). I plan to be on my feet for the entirety of the visit, as I'm visiting a friend's hometown and baijiu is best drunk by the thimblefull if at all. By custum, I am told, they will aim for the opposite.

***

Peter's been listening to Screaming Trees in the office. From dead office to rock office, hard to argue.

***

1 Comments:

Blogger Ferndale Denizen said...

My aunt brought a little girl from the Detroit area to our family cabin in the woods. The first night she asked, "What are those things in the sky?" In 8 years, she had never seen stars. I wonder if she remembers it now. On a clear night in August the meteorite showers render us speechless, like the insignifcant beings we like to forget we are.

02:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home